Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Youd better chew some coffee.Here.

And youll be backTo morrow
And youll be backTo morrow.They are big through the chest by measurement. One of the two men who had carried it looked in. and a few more houses had been hit by shell fire. Where it had run down under my shirt it was warm and sticky. A shell had fallen and while we waited three others fell up the road. The major said he had heard a report that I could drink.He should go to Palermo. I smiled at the priest and he smiled back across the candlelight.65 caliber with a short barrel and it jumped so sharply when you let it off that there was no question of hitting anything. Profound wounds of right knee and foot. I said. His helmet was off and his forehead was bleeding below the hair line. Multiple superficial wounds of the left and right thigh and left and right knee and right foot.

 Priest never with girls. This took place at B?ziers.Hows everythingNot so bad.Pas encore.A rivederci. A shell burst short near the river bank. and good news.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked. God. Then I forgot about him. and his hair shone. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please. Stop it. drunk.

 The lieutenant said I slipped the truss on purpose. Ill see the medical wallahs.They were all eating. lieutenant.Do we have to go on and talk this wayNo. That is very clear. Where have you beenCalling on the British. And I never even talk English. I said. one of the captains said. she said. Then I made out my report in my room.What about eating. The window was open.

 yes ) with possible fracture of the skull. I couldnt move. Rome.Must attack. then stood up. The war was changed too.You love Italy Rinaldi asked Miss Ferguson in English. I said. That day I visited the posts in the mountains and was back in town late in the afternoon. Because we would not wear any clothes because it was so hot and the window open and the swallows flying over the roofs of the houses and when it was dark afterward and you went to the window very small bats hunting over the houses and close down over the trees and we would drink the capri and the door locked and it hot and only a sheet and the whole night and we would both love each other all night in the hot night in Milan. fat and prosperous and Vittorio Emmanuele. I must write some letters. It is one for The Lancet. Rinaldi took the note.

Do we eat yet. Ahead there was a rounded turn off in the road to the right and looking down I could see the road dropping through the trees. its smooth surface covered with brick dust. There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun.Four for 105.I sat on a chair and held my cap. The offensive was going to start again I heard.Dont go. baby. father. You dont pronounce it very much alike. Multiple superficial wounds of the left and right thigh and left and right knee and right foot. I believe we should get the war over.Look.

 Ive seen you about.Yes. Alpini would. A trench mortar shell.No. a hard bright burst and flash and then gray smoke that blew across the road. Bring a glass. But I do with you. baby. First we passed the regiment. I knew. go get a corkscrew. You ought to wash. My orderly had cut paper into strips and tied the strips to a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away.

I sat in the reception hail of the villa. There were lighted candles on the table. It was a big trench mortar shell. We do get along. Where did you meet her In the Cova Where did you go How did you feel Tell me everything at once.We wont quarrel. We saw their white uniforms through the trees and walked toward them.All right. said Rinaldi. This was a strange and mysterious war zone but I supposed it was quite well run and grim compared to other wars with the Austrians. I said. He can handle the English. lieutenant! he shouted. bound in leather.

 was blonde and had a tawny skin and gray eyes. we knew it was all over for that year. We understand you let us talk. A mass loosened. it was slow in the traffic. I wish she were here now. Naples.We were off the driveway. It was there that the offensive was to begin. gonorrhea. he explained to me. without embarrassment. I felt something dripping. But I found a place where the cars would be sheltered after they passed that last badlooking bit and could wait for the wounded to be brought across the pontoon bridge.

 The major asked me to have a drink with him and two other officers. Let him go to centres of culture and civilization. Isnt itWhat is the stick I asked.I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall.The priest smiled. Really. Messina.I am sorry. It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting. We sat on the ground with our backs against the wall and smoked. baby How do you feel I bring you this It was a bottle of cognac. wont you She looked up at me. It was a one road show.I knocked over his candle with the pillow and got into bed in the dark.

You sons of bitches. He had been in the war in Libya and wore two woundstripes. Some one came in and as the door opened I could see the snow falling. I kissed both her shut eyes.Which side is it onHere. He can be here until you are ready to take him. I say he bellows!I would like you to go to Abruzzi.That night at the mess I sat next to the priest and he was disappointed and suddenly hurt that I had not gone to the Abruzzi. It came down through the forest in sharp turns. No. Why did you join up with the ItaliansI was in Italy. isnt itQuite. the light came out and he went in. said the priest.

 he said when he saw me. baby. You only pretend to be American.Somebody said you should be able to learn it in two weeks. you met British men and sometimes women. Suddenly to care very much and to sleep to wake with it sometimes morning and all that had been there gone and everything sharp and hard and clear and sometimes a dispute about the cost. Your lovely cool goddess. sitting on the small of my back. There were lighted candles on the table.Whats to stop itIt will crack somewhere. I will take you to call. below in the town.Just as you like. Youre not an Italian.

 Oh mama mia. I looked at her. Stupid. said Rinaldi. Some one was coming down the hallway. The major was unhooking the forceps now. Grappa.Are you very tired she asked.An outside nation cant make you be a soldier. was blonde and had a tawny skin and gray eyes. Always with the girls. He had written to his father that I was coming and they had made preparations. I sat up straight and as I did so something inside my head moved like the weights on a dolls eyes and it hit me inside in back of my eyeballs. I love you.

 she said. I just tell you. I got out and told the driver to go on and that if we had not caught up to them at the junction of the road to Cormons to wait there. Inexperienced. It was hard and slippery. They arent girls; they are old war comrades.Whats the matterHe looked at me. Where it had run down under my shirt it was warm and sticky. where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting. no. hung over the two beds.Its not been away. I handed the canteen back to Passini.The battery in the next garden woke me in the morning and I saw the sun coming through the window and got out of the bed.

 I will take you to call. I wish that I was with the British.No. You have a good time The others all grinned too.I did not understand the word. Where it had run down under my shirt it was warm and sticky.I did not. isnt there I was brought up to think there was. Tenente Can I help in any way He was the quietest one of the four. lieutenant We wont get a chance to eat after this thing starts. there was a soldier sitting on a bench outside in the sun. My knee wasnt there. and the whole thing going well on the Carso made the fall very different from the last fall when we had been in the country. What inflicted the woundsThe medical captain.

 She was not in the garden and I went to the side door of the villa where the ambulances drove up.You are crazy. You cant.J started down the driveway. warmed from the sun on the wall. Well crack in France.Lift it high. Then I will take him with my first load. Why did you join up with the ItaliansI was in Italy. It seemed no more dangerous to me myself than war in the movies. I said. In a little while we would say insulting things.Youd better chew some coffee.Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment