Tuesday, May 10, 2011

through the window and got out of the bed. he said.

 We grew up together
 We grew up together. It would not rip and I bit the edge of the cloth to start it. I did hurt you. This captain baited him often.Slit the tunic. God. the water clear. But I do with you. I got down and went over. The division for which we worked were to attack at a place up the river and the major told me that I would see about the posts for during the attack. said Passini. It was a nasty place and the Austrians should not have let them hold it.No.Im awfully sorry.

 They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals. We are mechanics. she said. I wouldnt be able to get the stretcher out alone. Id be glad to kiss you if you dont mind. Something landed outside that shook the earth. I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly.Oh. and pounded on the window to attract his attention.I wish there was some place we could go. Nothing. the bare ground was covered. Maria. Then I floated.

 It came very fast and the sun went a dull yellow and then everything was gray and the sky was covered and the cloud came on down the mountain and suddenly we were in it and it was snow. You may come and see her after seven oclock if you wish. said Passini and spat on the floor.You should not let us talk this way. because they did not bombard it to destroy it but only a little in a military way.I was going to cut it all off when he died. Wait till I get cleaned up. They would take me as soon as possible.This is the third day. And you play it as well as you know how. Manera said. The earth of the dugout was warm and dry and I let my shoulders back against the wall. when you knew that that was all there was.It was a ghastly show.

 I think not. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened. She wore what seemed to me to be a nurses uniform. But no. Sometimes all niceness gone and glad to get out on the street but always another day starting and then another night. coming down. He had not had it but he understood that I had really wanted to go to the Abruzzi but had not gone and we were still friends.That will be nice. In the jolt of my head I heard somebody crying.Have you any moneyYes. As I looked out at the garden I heard a motor truck starting on the road. There were racks of rockets standing to be touched off to call for help from the artillery or to signal with if the telephone wires were cut. I thought she was very beautiful and I took her hand. Would you like us to take the carsThats what I wanted to ask you.

 She did not seem tall walking toward me but she looked very lovely.They are big through the chest by measurement.We looked at each other in the dark.I will send her.It was because we were scared. said Miss Ferguson. baby. You like herNo. we are.This is the third day. I watched them settle on the ceiling. 206 arent youYes.It belonged to a boy who was killed last year. Here at the brickyard we were sheltered from rifle or machine gun fire by the river bank.

 A regiment went by in the road and I watched them pass. He had to sign the proposition for the citation. She let me take it and I held it and put my arm around under her arm. Beautiful young girlsaccompanied by their mothers. baby. said Rinaldi. We will convert him. Some of the wounded were noisy but most were quiet. Two for 132. I knew you was an American. D. Hes coming to see you.Oh. I love you so.

 Otherwise it will be the bronze. Why did you join up with the ItaliansI was in Italy. This captain baited him often.Nothing.Im so sorry. I had not noticed her.Hello. of course. We went for a stretcher but there wasnt any. I will go now and bring her here. Like bridge you had to pretend you were playing for money or playing for some stakes. I remembered where I was going.Just as you like.Which side is it onHere.

 and his hair shone. I said. the major said.You are so modest. You will be decorated. You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet. put their stretchers down.Have you done nursing longSince the end of fifteen. felt him climb up into the front seat. There is nothing worse than war. I remembered where I was going. I am now in love with Miss Barkley. They say if you can prove you did any heroic act you can get the silver. When there is really work they trust us.

 We in the auto ambulance cannot even realize at all how bad it is. wont youWhat the hell.I cut the cheese into pieces and laid them on the macaroni. were on the trunk.Later.Abbastanza bene. I dont go there any more. Would you like a drink of brandy How did you run into this thing anyway What were you trying to do Commit suicide Antitetanus please. Where it had run down under my shirt it was warm and sticky. What is defeat You go home. the long barrels of the guns covered with green branches and green leafy branches and vines laid over the tractors.And youll be backTo morrow. a noble man and with whose injustice. Signor Tenente.

It belonged to a boy who was killed last year. Manera lit his lighter and passed it around.No.Ill leave you two. He recognized me and waved a forceps.Yes. They would take me as soon as possible.They have big Skoda guns. doing things that hurt sharply and severing tissue Are you sureMe trying to lie still and feeling my stomach flutter when the flesh was cut. I thought she was very beautiful and I took her hand. I love you too much. drink that. He broke off. You wont go awayNo.

 He stooped to go under the doorway and went out. I feigned acquaintance. stupid from inexperience. as when a blast furnace door is swung open. Anybody may crack.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out.No. I hope you feel better. Shes a nurse. Not in the auto ambulance.Ciaou! he said. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. I got out and told the driver to go on and that if we had not caught up to them at the junction of the road to Cormons to wait there.Probably.

WhereMilano.I went along the narrow road down toward the river. I said I thought they had them. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please.Sit down. Ill paint all this and Does that sting Good.Yes.If it wasnt that that happens to their families nobody would go to the attack.You are crazy. Otherwise it will be the bronze. Rocca said. she said. the dust rising from the wheels and going off through the trees. you cant kiss me here.

 And in the town we have beautiful English girls. and I knew I was dead and that it had all been a mistake to think you just died. It was Passini and when I touched him he screamed. please. Nobody was in sight. Incurred in the line of duty. Please put your hand there again.Im awfully tired. Then I forgot about him. the drivers walking along beside the mules wearing red fezzes.Of course some of the bonds were not accounted for but the priest had all of the three per cent bonds and several local obligations.How you like this goddam warRotten. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. He shook his head at me.

Come on. Everybody was in the dugouts. She put it in my hand. They were laughing.Where were the Hartz Mountains anyway They were fighting in the Carpathians. Not Ba?chus.Will you tell her how sorry I amYes. Im sorry. said the lieutenant. I said. Outside the sergeant adjutant knelt down beside me where I lay. In the town there were more guns.Beyond the mule train the road was empty and we climbed through the hills and then went down over the shoulder of a long hill into a river valley. They told me you were on duty.

This isnt a deep dugout. He made a gesture and laughed loudly. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley. Listen.Is there anything I can do. She was not in the garden and I went to the side door of the villa where the ambulances drove up. the major said. But it was checked and in the end only seven thousand died of it in the army. marched as though they were six months gone with child. she said. They were seventysevens and came with a whishing rush of air. He had written to his father that I was coming and they had made preparations.The battery in the next garden woke me in the morning and I saw the sun coming through the window and got out of the bed. he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment