Tuesday, May 10, 2011

under machinegun and shell fire for nearly a mile.No Yes.

 I knew I would not be killed
 I knew I would not be killed. I looked across the wire at the Austrian lines. Kiss me goodby. Did you stay all nightYes. then. Dio te salve. Theres more snow there than here. I stroked her hair and patted her shoulder. They tell me youre an American. TaorminaYou talk like a timetable.Dont worry. He stopped the car and looked in through the hole behind his seat. Im awfully tired.Splendid.

 stupid from inexperience. The window was open.I took off my tunic and shirt and washed in the cold water in the basin. Rinaldi. You take it.Somebody said you should be able to learn it in two weeks.I dont believe a word of this. I said I thought they had them.I said I knew. So I went to the jail. I said.The road was crowded and there were screens of corn stalk and straw matting on both sides and matting over the top so that it was like the entrance at a circus or a native village. which every one ate very quickly and seriously. marched as though they were six months gone with child.

 For stupidity. Tenente. father. Im Scotch. Halfway through the wine I did not want any more. We caught them and passed them and turned off on a road that climbed up into the hills. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth. so I asked to see you. All right.I looked in her eyes and put my arm around her as I had before and kissed her.Thank you very much. You must forgive me for talking so much. They had come back for him.Thank you for the coffee beans.

 He recognized me and waved a forceps. didnt youYes.Dont bring Caruso.Yes.I am sorry. The telescope that fitted it was. He patted Gordini on the shoulder. Everything seemed in good condition. It would have been much simpler. He was going to marry me and he was killed in the Somme. That was how it ought to be.Oh. Im sorry for your head. now this is the point of the story.

 Then I forgot about him. father.Why didnt we see the post when we came down Passini asked.Certainly not.She looked down at the grass. Nothing. You will like it.I love you so and its been awful. Dio te salve. he said.Im so sorry.I can come here though.He shook his head. Ive seen your Tenente.

 said the captain.Are you hit badly he asked. He bit his arm and moaned. I said.It was just beyond where we turned off. Bassi said no that was no test because he had already drunk twice as much as I. but it was not Catherine. We crossed the brickyard. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa. He had to sign the proposition for the citation. Rinaldi. Im awfully tired. My friend saw the priest from our mess going by in the street.It would be fine if you would take the cars.

 Whats the matter with this machineIts no good. she said.Ill go and see now. the water clear.All thinking men are atheists.No. It takes a long time to be. How is GordiniHes all right. I tried to tell about the night and the difference between the night and the day and how the night was better unless the day was very clean and cold and I could not tell it; as I cannot tell it now. Passini said. I said.Yes. baby.It was nearly dark when we came down and turned onto the main road that ran beside the river.

Couldnt you take me no place elseIf it was closer to the front I could take you to a first medical post. I breathed and I was back. You better not go up there drunk. Sometimes still pleasant and fond and warm and breakfast and lunch. He started the car.What is there to eatWe have a little pasta asciutta. You are my great and good friend and financial protector.I will go and see. I had a drink with a captain that I knew in one of the dugouts and went back across the bridge.He poured two glasses and we touched them. Genoa was the place to see the bad marbles. The hall too. I say he bellows!I would like you to go to Abruzzi. They take your sisters.

 I opened the capsule and spilled him out into my hand. of course.He does really. under a hill beyond the river. He breathed very heavily.I say its rotten.When I got back to the villa it was five oclock and I went out where we washed the cars. of course. I saw the blanket open. the stump of his leg twitching. You should go on leave. then took a bite of cheese. I said. I was angry and yet certain.

 Gordini said. Its only a little sometimes.Nonsense. although I learned it later.You dont go at allI just go to see if there is anything new. That major at the first post was a hogbutcher. was lined with them.All thinking men are atheists. I couldnt move.Say. Orderly. I undid the clasp of the gold chain and put it around my neck and clasped it. The coffee was a pale gray and sweet with condensed milk.Oh.

Just as you like. There was an English there. Priest not happy.We might sit there just for a little while. And I never even talk English.Oughf. You are a frozenfaced . I said. He sat down beside me. fast and shallow. In the bed of the river there were pebbles and boulders.Pas encore. His shoulder was smashed and his head was hurt. He was going to marry me and he was killed in the Somme.

 darling. I saw that word pricked him and kept on. and relaxed. Tell me about Gorizia. I looked in the door of the big room and saw the major sitting at his desk.No. I translated. Gavuzzi handed me the basin of macaroni.How are you. Tenente. They poured me more wine and I told the story about the English private soldier who was placed under the shower bath.I think we can get you the silver. I opened the capsule and spilled him out into my hand. aint this a goddam warListen.

I am happy. Everybody hates this war. isnt there I was brought up to think there was.You ought to have let me know.Bring Caruso. said the captain. Yes. First we passed the regiment. There is nothing worse than war.In the ward at the field hospital they told me a visitor was coming to see me in the afternoon. Here they would never have arrested him. Look at your valorous conduct in asking to go always to the first line.I have to go. The King was good but dull.

 locked in the trunk. She was carrying a thin rattan stick like a toy riding-crop. she said. I had been up the river to the bridgehead at Plava. Did you do any heroic actNo. But those grenadiers; all over six feet. If you must have a priest have that priest. My God what would a man do with a woman like that except worship her What else is an Englishwoman good forYou are an ignorant foulmouthed dago. on the street.I will send Miss Barkley.Wed take quite good care of them and return them to the villa. We walked to the door and I saw her go in and down the hall. and stood up. Hes a better man than I am.

Thank you very much. the line of the river that separated the two armies. And you play it as well as you know how. . Outside it was nearly dark. It is a disgrace that they should stay so long that they become friends. Will you have a cigaretteThanks. Jesus Christ.They talked too much at the mess and I drank wine because tonight we were not all brothers unless I drank a little and talked with the priest about Archbishop Ireland who was.Yes. she said. But back here youve got to have papers. It had been impossible to advance on the far side the year before because there was only one road leading down from the pass to the pontoon bridge and it was under machinegun and shell fire for nearly a mile.No Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment