Tuesday, May 10, 2011

that were awake talked across the ward.Probably.

 They were seventysevens and came with a whishing rush of air
 They were seventysevens and came with a whishing rush of air. The others were shouting. Bless me.Wonderful.Dont write anything that will bother the censor. he straightened up.Priest not happy. and then I heard close to me some one saying Mama Mia Oh. Whats the matter with you Do you want us to come outside and get himThe two stretcher bearers picked up the man under the arms and by the legs and brought him in.Shall we sit here or go out in the gardenLets go out. And then you are so very beautiful. Also we were required to wear an automatic pistol; even doctors and sanitary officers. You dont pronounce it very much alike. This had been the villa of a very wealthy German and the busts must have cost him plenty.

 I said.They come after you. Stretcher bearers came in all the time. After I was wounded I never found him. I said. That made the bed damp and cool. Miss Barkley was quite tall.It is a filthy and vile book. But as long as you drive the cars and behave  and dont talk so other officers can hear.They wont crack here.I took out my knife. I could see the light come out from the dressing station when the curtain opened and they brought some one in or out.Whats the matter nowNew rings. Lots of them would have liked him to be king.

 There are people who are afraid of their officers. There were many marble busts on painted wooden pillars along the walls of the room they used for an office. The captain spoke pidgin Italian for my doubtful benefit. Lacerations of the scalp (he probed Does that hurt Christ. We stopped at the side of the road. This machine is no good but the others march. she said. Lacerations of the scalp (he probed Does that hurt Christ. You mustnt take everything so literally. Miss Barkley said. he said.Lets drop the war. Im sorry for your head.Lets drop the war.

 You are my great and good friend and financial protector.The next afternoon we heard there was to be an attack up the river that night and that we were to take four cars there. I practised with it.If it wasnt that that happens to their families nobody would go to the attack. it seemed. They cant do that to everybody.Well crack. they would not be loaded. I love you so.Im not.Its not really the army. my bed was made up with blankets and my things hung on the wall. I said. Goodnight.

 as when a blast furnace door is swung open. she said. They told me you were on duty. With your priest and your English girl. The orderly was listening behind the desk. I said. Maybe she would. What was the matter with this war Everybody said the French were through. Gordini could not drive.I did not.It belonged to a boy who was killed last year. didnt IShe was looking at me in the dark. said Passini. They sat down and waited.

Do you think it would be any good to try and see her tomorrowYes.I know how you talk.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out. You are a frozenfaced .Poor man. he said. Inside they were operating on all the tables. Rinaldi came in while I was undressing. I love you too much. You walk up and down. Halfway through the wine I did not want any more.I will get it for you.No. I knew I would not be killed.

I see. You go away sototenente! You come back sotocolonello! They all laughed. The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear. What inflicted the woundsThe medical captain. It is disgraceful.No.Outside something was set down beside the entrance. I had not said it before. she said. This was a strange and mysterious war zone but I supposed it was quite well run and grim compared to other wars with the Austrians.Id rather wait.I drank the cognac and felt it warm all the way down. I said. We both went flat and with the flash and bump of the burst and the smell heard the singing off of the fragments and the rattle of falling brick.

Youre dirty.I did not say anything. Ive seen your Tenente. Not in this ambulance business. Tell me. There was that beginning of a feeling of dryness in the nose that meant the day would be hot later on. you have come back. What inflicted the woundsThe medical captain. I like him. lootenant. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession. You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet. The pain hasnt started yet.Why didnt we see the post when we came down Passini asked.

 Those postcards would be very fine in America; strange and mysterious. His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair.There will be no more offensive now that the snow has come.Oh. He stopped the car and looked in through the hole behind his seat. have that pleasant air of a dog whoStop it.Dont be angry. I said. I saw a third range of mountains.Yes.What about eating. He has a rendezvous. Manera lit his lighter and passed it around. there was a soldier sitting on a bench outside in the sun.

 Every week some one gets wounded by rock fragments. I said. great general but he looked like a man. we knew it was all over for that year. We talk too much even for the Tenente. Sometimes still pleasant and fond and warm and breakfast and lunch. I said. She had slapped my face hard. He did not see me and I did not know whether to go in and report or go upstairs first and clean up.A whatAn ignorant wop. In the town there were more guns. said the priest. Tenente. I saw arched stone bridges over the river where tracks turned off from the road and we passed stone farmhouses with pear trees candelabraed against their south walls and low stone walls in the fields.

I didnt know about anything then. the major said. Did you think I was Italian There were some Italians with one of our units. carts and loaded ambulances and all returning traffic up the old narrow road. He stooped to go under the doorway and went out. Every one at the table laughed.I looked back and saw her standing on the steps. I said. you see.Youre sloppy.The priest smiled.Quite well.Its not serious I hope. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut.

 His helmet was off and his forehead was bleeding below the hair line. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked. he said. unbuttoned the shirt collar and dropped him in under the shirt. lieutenant We wont get a chance to eat after this thing starts. no. capitano (next finger). it seemed. seeing it all ahead like the moves in a chess game. she said. Maybe the Austrians would crack.Leave him alone. I went on home.

Dont bring Caruso. In the meantime we were all at the mess. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please. with many tastes alike.Its better to wear him. I wished we had a Napoleon. I like him. Inside the dugout were the three drivers sitting against the wall.Please lets not lie when we dont have to. Im not. She waved again and then I was out of the driveway and climbing up into the seat of the ambulance and we started. Its a Saint Anthony. She came back from wherever she had been. you have nothing to worry about if it doesnt infect and it rarely does now.

Yes.I stopped in front of the Villa Rossa. The grappa was very strong. The town was very nice and our house was very fine. the meal was finished.I dont know. He bent over me. fast and shallow. We both went flat and with the flash and bump of the burst and the smell heard the singing off of the fragments and the rattle of falling brick. Something picturesque. I denied this.Oh.You have that pleasant air of a dog in heat. but the nights were cool and there was not the feeling of a storm coming.

 Now he was bandaging. Where have you beenCalling on the British. Back at the villa I went upstairs to the room. Tenente. undid my tunic and tried to rip the tail of my shirt. Perhaps it start again. come. It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant. she said. where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting. There was one smashed bridge across the river.I have one. Those of us that were awake talked across the ward.Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment