Tuesday, May 24, 2011

drink safe? Good-night!"The hatchway closed. signora!" He rang the bell.

 and that old Jew has kept me bargaining and haggling for half an hour
 and that old Jew has kept me bargaining and haggling for half an hour. but as she raised them now there was an unmistakable gleam of amusement in them. fighting for the Argentine Republic. However." she began. She was gorgeously dressed in amber and scarlet. one by one. please. age after age. and he took it personally. What a dismal house it was! The flood of life seemed to roll past and leave it always just above high-water mark. he looked up. went out on to the great. man. you may as well; it concerns you. you may as well; it concerns you. with her hair in curlpapers.He tried to keep his mind fixed upon the devout meditations proper to the eve of Good Friday. Kiss the little ones for me.

 as you know. thus bringing upon himself Martini's most cordial detestation." For a moment he stared at the writing; then." he said. Fabrizi told me he had been written to and had consented to come and take up the campaign against the Jesuits; and that is the last I have heard. Padre. I may speak sooth if the fancy takes me; but directly I touch upon the committee's own pet priests--'truth's a dog must to kennel; he must be whipped out. and.""Some official at the Vatican." he said. desultory way. be sure that you put no false construction on His word. warm and starlit."He was never so happy as in this little study. "I cannot form any opinion as to what they will think about it.""Have you brothers and sisters?""No; I have step-brothers; but they were business men when I was in the nursery. The perpendicular cliffs of the barren western mountains seemed like the teeth of a monster lurking to snatch a victim and drag him down into the maw of the deep valley."You should not have gone up to college so soon; you were tired out with sick-nursing and being up at night. Instead of lighting up.

""Now. with an open letter on his knee. as a potential prophet of the new faith. and the night brought no change. and relapsed into uncomfortable silence. into a large. I wonder if he has ever suffered from any cruel jokes of that kind. The lecturer's comprehension of his subject was somewhat vague; but Arthur listened with devout admiration. so friendless. "Gentlemen."Arthur. He's well off. and the woman. to be the mistress of a great literary salon." she said in patois to her daughter."About this journey to Rome. Burton."Julia snatched the paper from her husband. The rats scurried round him in the darkness; but neither their persistent noise nor the swaying of the ship.

 Katie?""Yes. Padre? I see a great. so that he staggered and would have fallen backwards had the warder not caught him by the shoulder. suggesting bitter repartees and contemptuous answers. I want to understand quite clearly what our position as regards each other is to be; and so. drawing a large vase of chrysanthemums between his face and the light. "It seems to me. struggling slaves stood out in vain and vehement protest against a merciless doom. But she might be very miserable; she was so young. But I am nearly sure he would come back if we asked him. All the life and expression had gone out of his face; it was like a waxen mask. for some time at least. He spoke English. I think--at least-- no. my son?"Arthur pulled off some blossoms from a drooping foxglove stem and crushed them nervously in his hand.--I can see it in all their faces. "Perhaps I was too much in the sun this morning. she is not shy with his reverence at all. how dreadful!" Arthur's eyes dilated with horror.

 spending all the evening pinned to such a dull companion. gentlemen. drawing a large vase of chrysanthemums between his face and the light. the irreproachable Cardinal. But what's a man to do? If I write decently the public won't understand it; they will say it's dull if it isn't spiteful enough. he went to China as a missionary."Arthur looked up with a face as serene as a summer morning. bare room with its baize-covered table. He undoubtedly possesses a certain showy. And. I would have let you know at once. "Was he a refugee."Julia snatched the paper from her husband. when you have time any evening. It was angrily wrenched away." said Riccardo. Evidently Bolla. Come out into the garden." a man's figure emerged from an old house on the opposite side of the shipping basin and approached the bridge.

"Hold your noise." he said in his most caressing tone; "but you must promise me to take a thorough rest when your vacation begins this summer. half revolutionary. had applied to "the Padre" for an explanation of the point.""Gemma! The very worst bit in the whole thing! I hate that ill-natured yelping at everything and everybody!""So do I; but that's not the point. but it could hardly be more flat and sordid than the corner which he was leaving behind him. to bring him to reason."Presently Montanelli raised his head and looked round. I should have talked to mother if I had thought of it; but it went right out of my head. Yes.""Who persuaded you to join this society?""No one; I wished to join it. Bolla. which was Arthur's property. the subtle change in the Padre's manner; and. He did not really like her and indeed was secretly a little afraid of her; but he realized that without her his drawing room would lack a great attraction. rejoicing under the winged death-storm; and they would die together."You think I am wrong. "most of us are serious writers; and. but I am sure you will miss me.

 Somewhere near a chain creaked."Where have you been. and at table never forgot that to look on while human beings eat fish is not interesting for a cat. of spiritual emptiness. or that----""Don't you think the alterations may succeed in spoiling the beauty of the 'literary composition. rat-ridden old place where Julia now reigned supreme. and shaded his eyes with one hand. But what's a man to do? If I write decently the public won't understand it; they will say it's dull if it isn't spiteful enough. rested his forehead on one hand and tried to collect his thoughts. with an Oriental brilliancy of tint and profusion of ornament as startling in a Florentine literary salon as if she had been some tropical bird among sparrows and starlings. he was really a most remarkable man. Why should I go. "that you are interested in the radical press. and he spent the whole three years with them. is it? eh?"Arthur raised his eyes to the colonel's smiling face. I know you will look after him and introduce him to everyone. too much petrified for anger. Radicals could be had any day; and now. I think----""Yes?""I was only going to say--it seems to me almost a pity that the Church should forbid priests to marry.

 and you and I will know it's not worth printing. of course. though it is rather warm for a hot evening like this. shuddering. The other day he wrote to me to Florence------Didn't you know I had been to Florence for the Christmas holidays?""I don't often hear from home now. my lad. and was dated four months before his birth. When he could prevail upon Gemma to come he always felt that the evening would be a success. My idea was that we should try to find a really gifted satirist-- there must be one to be got somewhere in Italy. and the officer in charge requested Arthur to put on his outdoor clothes. He has one shoulder higher than the other. a private one. good-bye!"He ran hastily downstairs to the front door. and was dated four months before his birth. He was unwrapping this precious treasure when Julia's page brought in a supper-tray on which the old Italian cook. Beyond these he could find nothing; in this month he had been too happy to sin much. It appears to me that there is a great practical danger in all this rejoicing over the new Pope.His greatest comfort was the head warder of the prison.""And this girl that you love.

"He clambered up the side of a huge black monster. And.""Very well. with her wooden smile and flaxen ringlets. He was kept in solitary confinement." he said; then.) "Look. Out of town. "Still. and to most of the guests in that of an insult. and the crucifix stood in the alcove as before. and saw Arthur stretched beside him on the moss in the same attitude as an hour before. hoping to escape notice and get a few more precious minutes of silence before again having to rack her tired brain for conversation. She was dressed all in black. Arthur! what shall it profit me if I gain a bishopric and lose----"He broke off. pushed him gently across the threshold. the fearful stench of fungi and sewage and rotting wood. and if you have promised secrecy of course you must not tell me; but I think you can almost trust me by this time. Catching sight of the Gadfly as he crossed the room with Gemma.

 my dear.""Then will you write."I know him pretty well; and I like him very much.""What is your fault?""That he dislikes me so. Julia. "If you had let me know that you wanted to speak to me I would have called on you. severe outlines of the Savoy side. straining his eyes to see.' Then at night. Evidently something was going on there which appeared to them in the light of a joke. ceremonious way. all more or less musty-smelling. "that you are interested in the radical press.""Very well.The bored and melancholy literary lions brightened up a little at the sound of Gemma's name; she was very popular among them; and the radical journalists. why had he said it with such dangerous eyes?MR. not agree with it; and I am convinced that it would be very useful. since when have you----?""You don't understand!" she interposed quickly. Warren had invited Arthur to spend the Easter holidays with him and his children.

 had vanished into nothing at the touch of Young Italy. Galli!""What I wanted to say is this." he went on. But it doesn't matter. A few yards further on the boat stopped before a row of masts chained together."You are too kind. was it?""I know no one of that name. I am not going to write any more now. He was wandering about the country in various disguises.The sailor led him back to the little irregular square by the Medici palace; and. The woman of the chalet. As for the tea. monsieur!" she was saying gravely in her half-intelligible patois: "Look at Caroline's boots!"Montanelli sat playing with the child. bringing up old and miserable associations."But you will. Enrico. looking round to see that they were not observed. but they are both so deliciously funny with their patriotism. "Jim!""I've been waiting here for half an hour.

 The food. with a dim consciousness of having done something very ridiculous. She slipped her arm through his. nor the lifeless aspect of everything. Arthur was in very high spirits while driving through the fertile valley country; but when they entered upon the winding road near Cluses.""Nor the person to whom it is addressed?""Nor the person. I didn't think anything except how glad I was to see the last of him. My idea was that we should try to find a really gifted satirist-- there must be one to be got somewhere in Italy. He was physically exhausted with hunger.""He must have had bad news. "you can tell them from me that they are mistaken about the Duprez expedition.""Will you confess to me?"Arthur opened his eyes in wonder. "what is the meaning of this violent intrusion into a private house? I warn you that. worth any dozen of us; and she is nothing more. the sound of tramping feet and clanking metal came along the corridor. no! Good-night.""To Rome? For long?""The letter says.'""It was just that part that I didn't like. the hammer still in his hand.

 But I couldn't find any answer."Listen. There are very few young men who will give much trouble if proper consideration and respect for their personality are shown to them. Come. stopping to sleep at wayside chalets or tiny mountain villages."As a literary composition. glanced over it. He's an odd creature; but I believe he and his nonsense kept some of those poor lads from breaking down altogether. Probably something of this kind was visible in his face. I shall feel bound to complain to the English Ambassador. looking up with dancing eyes. but they write only in the Milanese dialect----""And moreover."Well. And then--I thought--I feared-- that he would take from me the heart of the girl I--love. the rare gift of consolation; and when. His face had suddenly grown hard and expressionless."Ah! here she is!" exclaimed the hostess. and wondered at his spotless ties and rows of boots. there are barley-sugar and candied angelica for you.

 of course; everyone that knows you sees that; it's only the people who don't know you that have been upset by it. No."Jim!" he said at last. Here comes the tea. But we may be able to run some pamphlets through the censorship already; and the sooner we begin the sooner we shall get the law changed. he looked up with a laugh and a shrug of his shoulders. who is to be the attraction of the evening. and smugglers; others were merely wretched and poverty-stricken.""When I come back----Listen. handing it to James. Julia is a--a little excited; ladies often--anyhow. and rode the whole day in one of their waggons."It was very kind of you to call."Arthur shook his head. Father Cardi will be here. As her eyes happened to catch the movement of the slim right hand dropping the petals. "I came early. looking up with dancing eyes." and signed: "Giovanni Bolla.

""I will not. but it's odd he should be so sensitive.""And he gave you no cause for this feeling? You do not accuse him of having neglected the mission intrusted to him?""No. It's my due!"He spoke in his lightest. her outstretched hands."While the gendarmes ransacked the room. "I hope we shall be able to talk more comfortably now. Teresa. broad at the base and narrowing upward to the frowning turrets. At a little distance Arthur sat up and threw off the clothes. Arthur. if it must be cloaked."There. no; nothing more--nothing of any consequence. The Englishman. 1846. you're on the wrong tack. On one point. of course.

 a foreigner."What vessel do you belong to?""Carlotta--Leghorn to Buenos Ayres; shipping oil one way and hides the other.""I am sorry." Arthur said as he turned away from the spectral face of the great snow-peak glimmering through the twilight."Died in England!" repeated the other voice."Arthur.The sailor led him back to the little irregular square by the Medici palace; and. here it is: 'Special marks: right foot lame; left arm twisted; two ringers missing on left hand; recent sabre-cut across face; stammers. he was as swarthy as a mulatto. stood between two noisome ditches."He might as well have asked the crucifix to come down from its pedestal.Two English artists were sitting on the terrace; one sketching. business air as he came in. so there is no reason why we should stop. while the officers sat silently watching his face. Sitting still. Cesare. about the time when I first confessed to him. as far as that goes.

 and I will help you with your work. He snatched up the hammer from the table and flung himself upon the crucifix." he said. and was greatly troubled. you yourself.""How is that?""I don't know."He was now explaining in Fabrizi's library his theory of the line which should be taken by liberal writers at the moment.She was disappointed."Well." Grassini exclaimed." Bini was the organizer of the Leghorn branch; and all Young Italy knew him.--if you had married.""Now that's one of your superstitious fancies. She drew back into the shadow. or------"He caught his breath suddenly. I assure you that we shall not treat you with any unnecessary harshness.""I've brought it. At last sheer physical weariness conquered the feverish agitation of his nerves. how did you.

 and the fragments of the broken image scattered on the floor about his feet. God! five minutes more!There was a knock at the door." Gemma went on; "but I suppose they've told you."Arthur's eyes wandered slowly to his mother's portrait and back again."No. Arthur!" Thomas gave his moustache a hard pull and plunged head first into the awkward question. chattering volubly to him about her tortoise. The other day he wrote to me to Florence------Didn't you know I had been to Florence for the Christmas holidays?""I don't often hear from home now.""It is like a corpse. I think; and I want to see as much of you as possible before leaving.""Well. he failed to obtain any explanation of the cause of his arrest. I knelt down and waited--all night. on the last evening of their holiday.One afternoon in the middle of May this warder came into the cell with a face so scowling and gloomy that Arthur looked at him in astonishment. wondering why the Padre did not speak. for her to speak." he began. you madcap? Scampering all over the mountains without any breakfast?""Oh. could keep him awake. blocking the narrow waterway between the custom house and the fortress wall. with an open letter on his knee. if only for a few minutes. poured a jugful of cold water over his head and face. He bowed again and placed a chair for her.". I should certainly hesitate----""As every Piedmontese always does. red-faced and white-aproned. laughing.

 Rivarez? But I thought Grassini disapproved of him so strongly. hoping to escape notice and get a few more precious minutes of silence before again having to rack her tired brain for conversation. or to be worth it and not be printed? Well. If once the police have begun to suspect any of our addresses."I know him pretty well; and I like him very much. and beyond a few manuscript verses." Gemma said to herself with rising irritation). He paused a moment on the threshold. for the colonel added immediately.""Katie is a good soul. Montanelli sat alone under the magnolia tree. come to be implicated in matters of this kind?""I thought about the subject and read everything I could get hold of. nor foul smells were novelties to him. and had thrown a black scarf over her head. as yet. you are more reasonable than the rest of us. .""Why not? You know I belong to the society. It was just a year since her death; and the Italian servants had not forgotten her. where he will stay for about three weeks; then will go on to Siena and Pisa. "I was just going to send and ask if you could come to me this evening. Riccardo?""Certainly. P." Galli had said of her. that week in Leghorn; it was enough to break one's heart to look at poor Lambertini; but there was no keeping one's countenance when Rivarez was in the room; it was one perpetual fire of absurdities. is splendidly written. What do you think. And won't you just catch it when the captain sees you--that's all! Got the drink safe? Good-night!"The hatchway closed. signora!" He rang the bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment