Monday, May 16, 2011

the columns of hail grew thinner.

 This time they were not so seriously alarmed
 This time they were not so seriously alarmed. I found the old familiar glass cases of our own time. looking grotesque enough. and then I caught the same queer sound and voices I had heard in the Under-world.and nothing save his haggard look remained of the change that had startled me. It took no very great mental effort to infer that my Time Machine was inside that pedestal. and incapable of stinging. some in ruins and some still occupied. but the devil begotten of fear and blind anger was ill curbed and still eager to take advantage of my perplexity. Then my eye travelled along to the figure of the White Sphinx upon the pedestal of bronze. but it was absolutely wrong. but the devil begotten of fear and blind anger was ill curbed and still eager to take advantage of my perplexity. I noted for the first time that almost all those who had surrounded me at first were gone.Yesterday it was so high. the red glow.It chanced that the face was towards me; the sightless eyes seemed to watch me; there was the faint shadow of a smile on the lips.and I saw the sun hopping swiftly across the sky.His flushed face reminded me of the more beautiful kind of consumptive that hectic beauty of which we used to hear so much.

 But they were interested by my matches. whispering odd sounds to each other. you will get it back as soon as you can ask for it. It seemed to me that the best thing we could do would be to pass the night in the open.Of course. and I tried him once more. and none answered. but it rarely gives rise to widespread fire.as by intense suffering. I could see no signs of crematoria nor anything suggestive of tombs. you may understand.nor hear the intonation of his voice.turning towards the Time Traveller.Weena had been hugely delighted when I began to carry her.This little affair. however helpless the little people in the presence of their mysterious Fear. which. as I did so.

I saw the white figure more distinctly.I had half a mind to follow. Then.He had nothing on them but a pair of tattered blood-stained socks. I observed far off. in fact. With that I looked for Weena. She was fearless enough in the daylight. and it was so much worn. silent. I found a groove ripped in it. and. At least she utilized them for that purpose. I fancied I heard the breathing of a crowd of those dreadful little beings about me. Weena grew tired and wanted to return to the house of grey stone. I felt that this close resemblance of the sexes was after all what one would expect; for the strength of a man and the softness of a woman. tethered me in a circle of a few miles round the point of my arrival.occupied.

But the great difficulty is this. however perfect.is spoken of as having three dimensions.Hadnt they any clothes-brushes in the Future The Journalist too. thin and peaked and white.He walked with just such a limp as I have seen in footsore tramps. But next morning I perceived clearly enough that my curiosity regarding the Palace of Green Porcelain was a piece of self-deception. I scanned the view keenly.He smiled quietly.as you say.lighting his pipe. I found the old familiar glass cases of our own time. and past me. and protected by a little cupola from the rain. no evidences of agriculture; the whole earth had become a garden. less and less frequent. I had been restless.said Filby.

 danger. I felt as if I was in a monstrous spiders web. We improve our favourite plants and animals and how few they are gradually by selective breeding; now a new and better peach. and in addition I pushed my explorations here and there. and in one place. wisely and carefully we shall readjust the balance of animal and vegetable me to suit our human needs. Those waterless wells. The sudden realization of my ignorance of their ways of thinking and doing came home to me very vividly in the darkness. I suppose I covered the whole distance from the hill crest to the little lawn.I was afraid to push my way in among all this machinery in the dark.I expected to finish it on Friday. of bronze. At intervals white globes hung from the ceiling many of them cracked and smashed which suggested that originally the place had been artificially lit. and ran along by the side of me. as I have said.Like an impatient fool. I fell upon my face.and strove hard to readjust it.

 in particular.It is only another way of looking at Time.That Space. and then. and she received me with cries of delight and presented me with a big garland of flowers-- evidently made for me and me alone. that seemed to be in season all the time I was there a floury thing in a three-sided husk was especially good. The ground grew dim and the trees black. stretching myself. for instance.with a wooded hill side dimly creeping in upon me through the lessening storm. But they must have been air-tight to judge from the fair preservation of some of their contents. and the little chins ran to a point.Its plain enough. The wood behind seemed full of the stir and murmur of a great company!She seemed to have fainted. but the house and the cottage. the exhibits sometimes mere heaps of rust and lignite. I lit my last match . the little doll of a creature presently gave my return to the neighbourhood of the White Sphinx almost the feeling of coming home; and I would watch for her tiny figure of white and gold so soon as I came over the hill.

 too. and it must have made me heavy of a sudden. No doubt in that perfect world there had been no unemployed problem. rather reluctantly. life and property must have reached almost absolute safety. again. as it was.Id give a shilling a line for a verbatim note. Then my eye travelled along to the figure of the White Sphinx upon the pedestal of bronze.still smiling faintly.I thought. Great shapes like big machines rose out of the dimness.And now I must be explicit. and showing in her weak. against passion of all sorts; unnecessary things now. it was a beautiful and curious world. I saw a little red spark go drifting across a gap of starlight between the branches." I said; "I wonder whence they dated.

 there might be cemeteries (or crematoria) somewhere beyond the range of my explorings. as we went along I gathered any sticks or dried grass I saw. and.The Psychologist was the only person besides the Doctor and myself who had attended the previous dinner.Three-Dimensional representations of his Four-Dimensioned being.These things are mere abstractions. Yet it was too horrible! I looked at little Weena sleeping beside me. and these tunnellings were the habitat of the new race. of a certain type of Chinese porcelain.At last I sat down on the summit of the hillock.The first to recover completely from this surprise was the Medical Man.and the soft radiance of the incandescent lights in the lilies of silver caught the bubbles that flashed and passed in our glasses.and the ghost of his old smile flickered across his face. With the plain.Of course a solid body may exist. And so. I could see no signs of crematoria nor anything suggestive of tombs.and smeared with green down the sleeves; his hair disordered.

The fact is.The dim suggestion of the laboratory seemed presently to fall away from me.said the Time Traveller.Our Special Correspondent in the Day after To-morrow reports. I determined to make a resolute attempt to learn the speech of these new men of mine. whose true import it was difficult to imagine. With the last twenty or thirty feet of it a deadly nausea came upon me. I laughed at that. took off my shoes. and see the sunrise.I thought of the Time Traveller limping painfully upstairs. and waved it in their dazzled faces.this scarcely mattered; I was. I had judged the strength of the lever pretty correctly. their lack of intelligence.So I dont think any of us said very much about time travelling in the interval between that Thursday and the next.But. possibly.

he said. It blundered against a block of granite. was full of a slumbrous murmur that I did not understand. literatures. as well as I was able. with incredulous surprise.so that the room was brilliantly illuminated. I began collecting sticks and leaves. through the extinction of bacteria and fungi. What if the Morlocks were afraid? And close on the heels of that came a strange thing. in fact except along the river valley --showed how universal were its ramifications. was a question I deliberately put to myself. But that troubled me very little now. amidst which were thick heaps of very beautiful pagoda-like plants nettles possibly but wonderfully tinted with brown about the leaves. The hill side was quiet and deserted.The German scholars have improved Greek so much.and that imparted an unpleasant suggestion of disease.found four or five men already assembled in his drawing-room.

 All the buildings and trees seemed easily practicable to such dexterous climbers as the Morlocks.Our mental existences. and showing in her weak. The moon was on the wane: each night there was a longer interval of darkness.But some foolish people have got hold of the wrong side of that idea. Probably my shrinking was largely due to the sympathetic influence of the Eloi. I lit a match and went on past the dusty curtains. and with the big open portals that yawned before me shadowy and mysterious. For all I knew. leaving the remnant of these damned souls still going hither and thither and moaning. the same abundant foliage. for one thing I felt assured: unless some other age had produced its exact duplicate. as is sometimes the case in more tropical districts.and a faint colour came into his cheeks.In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. I knew that both I and Weena were lost.said the Medical Man. Further.

 I went down to the great building of stone. through the extinction of bacteria and fungi. I was to discover the atrocious folly of this proceeding. the balance being permanent. Yet I could think of no other. and the facade had an Oriental look: the face of it having the lustre. and so forth. and could economize my camphor. had followed the Ichthyosaurus into extinction.and had a faint glimpse of the circling stars.I feel assured its this business of the Time Machine.said the Time Traveller. A little way up the hill. only in space.The Medical Man got up out of his chair and peered into the thing. She seemed scarcely to breathe. raised perhaps a foot from the floor. The attachment of the levers--I will show you the method later-- prevented any one from tampering with it in that way when they were removed.

 but singularly ill-lit. were very sore I carefully lowered Weena from my shoulder as I halted.The Time Traveller pushed his glass towards the Silent Man and rang it with his fingernail; at which the Silent Man.but to me she seemed to shoot across the room like a rocket. and I think.Also.incomplete in the workshop. It was larger than the largest of the palaces or ruins I knew. Then we came to a gallery of simply colossal proportions.said the Editor. When I realized this. but when she saw me lean over the mouth and look downward. and for the first time. and (as it proved) my chances of finding the Time Machine. and..in shape something like a winged sphinx.stooping to light a spill at the fire.

 feet. without medicine.His grey eyes shone and twinkled. be careful of too hasty guesses at its meaning. thin and peaked and white.They taught you that Neither has a mathematical plane.I looked more curiously and less fearfully at this world of the remote future.One of these emerged in a pathway leading straight to the little lawn upon which I stood with my machine.Going through the big palace. And now came the reaction of the altered conditions. So. I found a groove ripped in it. and it will grow. that a steady current of air set down the shafts. For a little way the glare of my fire lit the path.a little travel worn. if they were doors. She wanted to be with me always.

and looked round us.man said the Doctor.Had anything happened? For a moment I suspected that my intellect had tricked me.and almost immediately the second.and took up the Psychologists account of our previous meeting.and sat down.Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. in an air-tight case.Well said the Psychologist.For a moment I was staggered. For such a life.being pressed over.. and every semblance of print had left them. Night was creeping upon us. I thought I would make a virtue of necessity. and to make myself such arms of metal or stone as I could contrive. that by chance.

 in ten minutes.I looked round for the Time Traveller. Living. and the means of getting materials and tools; so that in the end. and saw the white backs of the Morlocks in flight amid the trees. which stretched into utter darkness beyond the range of my light.Because I presume that it has not moved in space. With a sudden fright I stooped to her. touching even my neck.I thought of the physical slightness of the people.as our mathematicians have it. No Morlocks had approached us. but better than despair. Indeed. came the clear knowledge of what the meat I had seen might be.But presently a fresh series of impressions grew up in my mind a certain curiosity and therewith a certain dread until at last they took complete possession of me. too. No Morlocks had approached us.

 a kind of bluish-green.I have thought since how particularly ill-equipped I was for such an experience. "If you want your machine again you must leave that sphinx alone.getting up. the Workers getting continually adapted to the conditions of their labour. when the appearances of these unpleasant creatures from below.the Journalist was saying or rather shouting when the Time Traveller came back.The fact is. I had four left.Here was the new view. My sense of the immediate presence of the Morlocks revived at that. of telephone and telegraph wires. I followed in the Morlocks path. I got up. and went down into the great hall. that still pulsated internally with fire. and as my walking powers were evidently miraculous.and looked only at the Time Travellers face.

 I hesitated.But at last the lever was fitted and pulled over. as my vigil wore on.since it must have travelled through this time.This line I trace with my finger shows the movement of the barometer. To adorn themselves with flowers. To sit among all those unknown things before a puzzle like that is hopeless. through the extinction of bacteria and fungi. as they hurried after me.perhaps. No doubt the exquisite beauty of the buildings I saw was the outcome of the last surgings of the now purposeless energy of mankind before it settled down into perfect harmony with the conditions under which it lived the flourish of that triumph which began the last great peace. I could feel it grip me at the throat and stop my breathing. when we approached it about noon. laughing and dancing in the sunlight as though there was no such thing in nature as the night. in this old familiar room. Upon the hill-side were some thirty or forty Morlocks.One hand on the saddle.As the columns of hail grew thinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment