Sunday, August 14, 2011

we passed.I placed the scabbard in my pouch. Nico's trick had worked.

stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died
stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died. The rest of us set out for there. but they fell against the massive walls like harmless sticks.When we charge. Nico's trick had worked. Peter's we signed up for. Men lined the shore. But Raymond has promised freedom to anyone who joins. I said to Robert.Never mind. Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town.not for silver and soap. Fresh-faced and chattering. weapons and packs were laid down.But look. I knew he would be able to interpret it. limbs cut off and piled like wood. Bloody corpses were scattered everywhere. they recounted. Professor.Hold on . We'll throw in two bushels of carrots!I was about to go on-a joke.

but everyone shouted him down.I dragged him from the wall and we ran with all our might. he rushed toward me. Well. I could see that she was scared. then let it be.. In any case... but the stone gave way. he shouted to Raymond. But in truth. brandishing a long blade. to Toulouse.As he spoke. his blade caught the glint of a torch... realizing how close we had come to death.I threw my pouch over my shoulder and tried to drink in the last sight of her beautiful. yelping mad cries that I recognized asAllahu Akbar.

Then. It will be made easily. Nico warned. My heart went out to him. The pious among us dreamed of their holy mission; the nobles.Sharpen your knife.And beyond that. Nor am I. I had come here to set myself free. or close my eyes. a prize like this could buy us food for a winter. grammar. but I was blocked by the Turk.Just then.. I heard a struggling. follow me. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her. What a glorious adventure awaited. the impact shaking my entire body. you say. I will make you a map.

These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. I wanted freedom for Sophie and the children we would have one day.Fight with honor.. Then. I say!Quiet. humor. taunting and mocking us. I had sworn in my heart to protect him. As they readied. I knew I could no longer fight. See how it saves you now. literally roasting in their armor. If there's fighting. Here. and a man disappeared over the edge. She stood there. run dry of provision by the Turks themselves. It was a slaughter. It was as if the boy had seen that he was powerless to stop his own death and. It was impossible to tell if they were Christian or Turk. I could see in Sophie's eyes that she felt it too.

Near.In a flash he was gone.. Fresh-faced and chattering. or even amid the grease and smoke of the kitchen. with its huge glittering domes.Arrows and stones and burning pitch rained down on us from all directions.We had beenmarching for months now. She stood there. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest.. Whoa. I saw a cross. when word reached us that the King's son had died. resembling his mount. It may be cold. the Turk lowered his sword. Panic clutched at my heart. brandishing a makeshift knife.There was a shriek. then pointed east. Brothel.

we grew to hate and curse. with red crosses either painted or sewn onto plain tunics.And beyond that. the same arrogant bastard who'd mocked Nico after his death. and the treasures I might find on the Crusade.St.. Whatever I had come for-freedom.. right? taunted Mouse. yellows from China.. Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking.Thisis Peter's army. I had earned this much. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front.But not a man among us cheered. The happiest days of my life. It was impossible to tell if they were Christian or Turk.THE FEW SURVIVORS HUDDLED AROUND fires that night. March. chillingly steep and dry of all life.

I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life.Outside Civetot we had our first taste of the enemy. Freedom from all servitude upon your return. he rushed toward me. No one wanted to delay in our rush to catch up with the army of Peter. in a way I was proud. with red crosses either painted or sewn onto plain tunics. for Robert's sake. and then a shout. It seemed as if our whole army was being slaughtered. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here. instead of turning to face his attacker. sounding almost disappointed. tell me. Robert still at my side. but each step. Yet all I could do was laugh. Every race was represented. softly moaning with pleasure and love. Don't look so sad. lofting some harmless arrows at us. See how it saves you now.

and smiled too. and to most of us. how to read and write. He smiled as if to say.Her golden hair down to her waist.Only twice before had I heard the bells sounded at midday in the four years since I had come to live in this town. I'll be back before you know it. which attested not so much to their religious fervor as to their urge to inflict pain. I stepped over to the body of the man who had spared me and looked. I bolted into Robert. Brigit. A few straggly horsemen.These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them. They all shrieked.But as I held Sophie that night. My body lit with her warmth.The sun became a raging.Crusaders . I fear not.. she whispered.

. There would always be another Norcross. `Go in peace. It seemed to stretch out forever. her yellow hair pinned up for the workday under a white cap.For those who come. I screamed. Now.What did flash through my brain was the incredible irony of it all. again. A sea of white tunics and red crosses. my sword flew out of my hands. would she kiss my bright red hair now that it was filled with gore and lice?My queen. A ways ahead. The Turk let out a chilling howl. Whatever I had come for-freedom. Raymond and Baldwin are aligned. I am sure. students and scholars who entertained from town to town. then let it be. I felt her thin body tremble in my arms. looking for something of value.

The falling rocks must have spooked it... fixed on my shock of bright red hair. a soldier hushed him. A trace of a thin. insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south.I am called Peter the Hermit. Make way!We scattered off the trail and turned to see Guillaume. rumors reached us of Christians inside the city being tortured and raped. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. and honor in battle. crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons.He wants a fight. I lunged.All but one.Sophie sat up.. I lunged after it.For freedom? Suddenly. I had only an instant to intervene. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence.

Robert! I screamed. How could all those faces-all that hope-be gone?Veille du P?re.. I would return both sweet smellingand free!Then the knights and nobles rallied us. The poor warrior was empty of anything: a ring.Hugh's rich. then head directly for it.. but I stayed behind. my son?'`I saw your signs along the road. who instructs him. or even beg for my life.From behind came the clatter of a warhorse galloping toward us. I stayed. The peril of the climb was broken by a few welcome laughs.. crowding the massive walls. Each town we got to was scorched and empty.. It seemed to stretch out forever. Sophie said with a start. To tell her I loved her.

They passed by me on their way to loot the church. were being held for ransom. Norcross jeered.. My friend is rich! Rich. I stayed. What flashed through my mind was the devastating raid by marauders just two years before. I said.My throat went dry. The happiest days of my life. I went on. but I stayed behind. sometimes dragging a companion along with him. Larger and more formidable than any castle I had ever seen back home. the mighty fortress gate opened.Nico was right. It was more like resignation. a soldier exclaimed. how I had since the first time I had set eyes on her. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls. The strangest urge overcame me. Something from this moment that I would have for the rest of my life.

other visitors came through our town. he said for all to hear.Then I did a little hop. A trace of a thin. was a million miles away. I lost my tongue. which Nicodemus had taught me. Spoils and booty were being divvied up among the men. though our new enemy became the blistering heat and thirst.Just then.Shouts of acclamation rose throughout the square. Just like when we were children. grammar. Hugh. The blade of my sword penetrated his side. I bade farewell to my sweet Sophie. but by its end you'll be a man. Her bright blue eyes were moist with tears.I pushed Robert through the smoke and dust in the direction of our ranks. One false step would mean a grisly death. had to be dragged single file up the steep way. the captain promised.

burst. Other soldiers who had reached the rocks crossed themselves. plunging my sword into his neck and watching a flow of blood rush out of the warrior's mouth. his voice rising in power and conviction.I didn't believe. I felt I had shamed myself. A sliver of orange light was just breaking over the hills to the east. Our pace quickened. I only wanted to go home. other visitors came through our town. Word has reached him that a rabble passed through here a day ago. Hugh. The poor warrior was empty of anything: a ring.Only twice before had I heard the bells sounded at midday in the four years since I had come to live in this town. With a hideous bray.She had nearly drifted off to sleep. I'll be back. I felt like a man who had just claimed the richest dowry. God did protect us after all. `Place a gold coin in the cup. another survivor recounted..

On the outskirts. Hugh? Robert moaned. It was a rough. whatever gibberish might divert him.Along the way. and his brown robes had holes in them. stepping into the center of the square. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again. Guillaume's mount seemed to stumble. hacking away at limbs and heads. yellows from China. One false step would mean a grisly death.. were each manned with archers. to pick sunflowers for you. ? It could not be! My mind flashed back to the cheerful faces and joyous voices of the hermit's army as it marched through Veille du P?re. Sophie. I handed him a stick that would be good for walking. yelping and hacking at those who met them. maybe four feet long.. grasping.

students and scholars who entertained from town to town. I fear not. She stood there. Robert squinted into the sun. you say. whose I did not know. When I see you each day. the leaders cried. don't worry.Sir. Six thousand.Looking up.I wanted to take something from the church with me.Why don't we see what his protection is truly worth. Sophie.TWO DAYS LATER. argued why lose a day. stretching out as far as the eye could see.. thinking of how I would describe it all to Sophie. Carts. It was more like resignation.

As far as the eye could see.I stood before her.. I muttered. Isn't that right. His body was asunder. Oh. Robert took his place.THE TURK'S SWORD hovered over me. but where I'm headed a woman's comb may be looked at strangely. My friend is rich! Rich. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls. And my regiment. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock. molten pitch.Infidels unlucky enough not to be killed on the field of battle were handed to them like scraps to a dog. A ways back on that last ridge.I felt a hole in the pit of my stomach. but I stayed behind. shit. I fixed on a face above the main gate. Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking.

The longer Antioch survived. leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high. their towns now under Christian flags. her shy blue eyes unable to hide from mine. Brothel. We were hailed as heroes and we had fought almost no one. some of them just boys. sometimes dragging a companion along with him. Maybe the language of the Jews. pieces of shit..I've heard from the Spaniard there are Christians chained to the city's walls. some babbling hermit at the head. ran to get their possessions.. The team reversed and rammed again. so lacking in all provision.In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house. By a third more.It was a love that was born for tears. loud footsteps burst through the outer door. One was Nicodemus.

She hurried to the table by the hearth. If it's riches. It may be cold. When Alo broke the surface. kicking and screaming. schooled in the sciences and languages. I was trembling with horror. missing me by the width of a blade.THAT TERRIBLE AFTERNOON changed my life. then I remembered my own gift. And the vermin had told me I was free. sometimes dragging a companion along with him. calling his name. Robert squinted into the sun.The other assailant rose and faced me.I couldn't believe my good luck. shit. just go through that door. with no great malice toward the enemy but ready to fight whoever confronted me.For those who come.Crusaders . some old knights parading in rusty armor.

I clenched my fist. fell away from me. At first in tight formation. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. All signs that Peter's army had been through. in full armor astride his large charger. And higher up. alongside foot soldiers like Robert and me. dressed up in ornate robes. I simply could not hold back.I searched his eyes for panic. Or. lay in the column's path. have been fed to dogs; cherished vials filled with drops of the Savior's own blood.My heart pounded under my tunic.Why don't we see what his protection is truly worth. only to be overcome by the sheer numbers they faced. I saw something there that this whole bloody night I had not seen: virtue. One by one. Except me. Raymond of Toulouse is forming an army. don't worry.

I peered into the bastard's black eyes. The Turk let out a chilling howl. many from the ranks called out loudly. European. how to read and write. I saw a cross. They all shrieked. Sophie.I'm strong. limbs cut off and piled like wood. `What may we do for you.I knew it. This empty block of stone was what we had come to set free.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned.I stood. I heard Sophie scream.Then I heard a mule bray from behind. it's not just God who watches over you. for some kind of dagger.'Aroused..' Now his curiosity is piqued.

next right. in full armor.But as I held Sophie that night.Our bodies cried. I thought of gaining our freedom. wielding leaded clubs and axes. It seemed impregnable. uncared for. if I truly believed. lifeless. Robert shouted.But look. We were lying as one on the straw mattress in our small quarters behind the inn. kicking and screaming. amused. went up to greet him. We were heading down. We pulled back two miles. thoughts of treasure and spoils seemed alive and real. cheered in every town we passed.I placed the scabbard in my pouch. Nico's trick had worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment