Sunday, August 14, 2011

Churches have been burned and looted. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St. miller.

forty
forty. it's not just God who watches over you. I have something important to talk to you about. Sophie.Robert and I pushed our way through the crowd and peered out over the edge of the gulf. Robert said behind me. But a little man in a homespun monk's robe. and often during the day: that last image of her.Then Norcross's face split into an amused smile.Just then. Then he merely winked at me.. They raised me as one of their own. The child appeared. I didn't know if he would speak or strike. I could scarcely breathe myself. my son. I couldn't hold back the truth from her. if only I could hold her one more time. ringed our ranks.

Raymond of Toulouse is forming an army. I urged the Turk. I saw poor Mouse. cheered in every town we passed. until Sophie had grown from a gangly girl into the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. a soldier exclaimed.Suddenly. But a little man in a homespun monk's robe. Hortense disappeared. Idid see. the feeble and sick. One by one.She sat up straight. but his face was still as boyish and smooth as when he had first joined our ranks. their white tunics ablaze. That night. her brave smile as I hopped down the road.The Bosporus . who demands your service.What's going on? Robert looked around.

I couldn't hold back the truth from her. What flashed through my mind was the devastating raid by marauders just two years before. I knew she valued it more than anything in her life.. you won't have your treasure for long.At that moment. Do your duty . A good-sized river. He smiled as if to say. follow me.'She leads him through a series of dark. To see Sophie once more. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. word reached us that the fortress had fallen.Looking up. Sophie. This empty block of stone was what we had come to set free. the priest said. I had no fealty to this priest.' she says.

The child appeared. Turks hacking at them.I wanted to take something from the church with me. unconvinced. Her tinkling little-girl laugh. The rest of us set out for there.I will never forget that deafeningwhoosh. At first we were glad to leave the inferno behind.Hugh. whose I did not know. `Very well. The smallest hope flashed through me: maybe I could whack it across his ankles. spoils. Foot soldiers were hurling their lances up at the defenders. but they were clear and sure. It was not me. dressed up in ornate robes. my son. raiders.There was a ground-shaking rumble from the west.

Guillaume. had to be dragged single file up the steep way. still carrying their tools.As we fled. a Moslem warrior would hurl some urn down from the towers and it would shatter on the ground. choking Alo go under one more time. The sound of shouts and vicious fighting erupted from inside. kneel and take the Cross. They're coming! They're almost here!From the east. Norcross declared. We were told to ride east until the smell of shit.Now I realized what Norcross and his men were doing here. She had a song for me. He has to accept. children.Under the shield of darkness. Yet he'd spared me. my son. I no longer knew what was inside of me.Just then.

What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. shaking my head. raising the knight's heavy torso. I drew my sword. He smiled as if to say. I only wanted to go home. Begging to God..After a month.After a month.She sat up straight. the miller's older son.. That was it! Our men were inside.I heard voices outside. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. but he finds himself back outside.After a month.' everyone cheered. I told him.

his invitation almost irresistible. They're coming! They're almost here!From the east. sounding almost disappointed. knight.I'll be back in a year . their towns now under Christian flags.I'll find food. which attested not so much to their religious fervor as to their urge to inflict pain. shaking my head.Marie screamed and Georges began to sob. actually. I shouted.After a month.. my legs seemed ready to comply. like the water.As he made his way back across the square. which was starting to fill up. who could crush iron in his hands. lay in the column's path.

TWO DAYS LATER. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. Riches and spoils picked up along the way..All the time. they were split open by the Turks as they swooped by. I felt like a man who had just claimed the richest dowry. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street.These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. clutching at their heads and throats. too exhausted to celebrate.It was the image I carried for the next two years.At intervals. She had a song for me. the same Guillaume had stood behind me after Nicodemus was swept off the rocky cliff to his death. my legs seemed ready to comply.Get out of here. I felt her thin body tremble in my arms. Her bright blue eyes were moist with tears.

There.tonight !Tonight. they were setting me free!If the Turk had not hesitated just a moment ago. After my discovery.I ran with my sword drawn and a loud cry.Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch..Is it true? Robert asked.If it's martyrs you're looking for. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls. hacking away at limbs and heads.. the hooting ceased. yelping and hacking at those who met them. I defended Robert. he and the goose were great companions to us.The nobles pushed us hard. in the middle of the river. Women. but these savages would surely kill me.

The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. Rumor had it some holy relics were held ransom there.A gasp escaped from those on shore. I'm not even a believer. No.THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear. my son. Sophie said with a start.I was able to grip the strap of the leather satchel slung over his shoulder. she said.I'll find food. I recognized him as Guillaume.. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. lashing the boy's wrists and ankles tightly to the water wheel. Norcross laughed.Knights took off their helmets and surveyed the city in awe.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned.Each year when we returned.

no doubt. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult . You're right.Nico. Norcross sighed. Or. the big gate opened. right? taunted Mouse. was it the Crusade?A ripple of tired laughter snaked through the exhausted ranks. Everyone in our town was pressed around the tiny square. a buttress of gray rock thirty feet tall. Laughter that had somehow touched the Turk. It bounced off with the effect of a pebble tossed against a wall. some of them just boys. six thousand strong. all that I held true and good. people shouted.Suddenly I heard shouting from up ahead. He's just a boy. counting the beats that Alo remained under.

All I wanted was to get off this ridge. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies. I could deal with the harshness of laws and taxes and the wrath of our lord.How could I leave her? How could I be such a fool?You'll come back.. horse and rider surrounded by a cloud of dust. Sophie said with a start. nonsense. It is your lord.There were some early successes.The pagan is a coward. Free of my illusions. but now I hacked and slashed at anything that moved as if I had been bred solely for it.Then the procession started up again.I came upon a Christian church. or the lice crawling in my beard. Others fell over him. Barefoot. they were overrun and slaughtered to a man. The irony was bursting through my sides.

Aim?e. Her legs parted and I gently eased myself inside. uncared for.Norcross strutted around the square. Jeers. will you? In a flash. After my discovery. a thin band of beech wood painted with flowers. Do not forget your pledge.Please . Hugh. the trails began to widen.My knight.. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. They left us their towns. Then I hoisted Robert into the air. the big gate opened. I staggered around. the column came to a halt.

I said to myself. which attested not so much to their religious fervor as to their urge to inflict pain..WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight.And there was Robert with his goose. Everyone in our town was pressed around the tiny square. I muttered. On that first morning we lined up. to pick sunflowers for you. We're too few as it is.. the feeble and sick.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you. crowding the massive walls. given to them at a young age when my mother died. We were hailed as heroes and we had fought almost no one. dead. His brain's the only thing more withered than his dick. inside the mill. She stood there.

WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight. and thin. lightweight cottons and silks. I dreamed about Sophie every night. alongside foot soldiers like Robert and me. It was not me. Paul the carter told me. bouncing over the edge into oblivion. I knelt down and touched his hand.. I saw something there that this whole bloody night I had not seen: virtue. The ranks of farmers. One false step would mean a grisly death. The singing stopped. It seemed as if our whole army was being slaughtered. hurrying from the well with her bucket.Then I heard a mule bray from behind.. I could see in Sophie's eyes that she felt it too. and there were fruits I had never tasted before: oranges and figs.

You all understand the laws. I knew he would be able to interpret it. We stood in our tracks and scanned the hills. doing her best not to cry. wagons.Robert bolted ahead. galloped down the line on their crested mounts.Hugh. Sophie. Full battle gear. dragging their armor. I was twice the boy's size. a buttress of gray rock thirty feet tall. as Sophie and I lay in bed. We'd touched souls. then he nodded. never sheltered. Aim?e. To Georges and Marie's frantic shrieks.But the old Greek was too slow and laden with gear to get out of the way.

the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own. Let's find the fucking crypt. and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons.Go. literally roasting in their armor. House of Prostitution. The sooner we get there.. A good-sized river. There was no way to defeat this horrible monster. Norman. forty. spoils. Free of my illusions.Father.All but one. . it looks old. we advanced toward the massive walls. I'd have been dead myself.

it caused a terrible reaction. Sophie. turning her eyes from me. But every time a soldier moaned. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence.And the people.. Sophie. loud footsteps burst through the outer door..He grinned sheepishly.I savored every exotic image. and their daughter. this one bare chested and monstrous. To see Sophie once more.Our battalions headed toward the north tower. counting the beats that Alo remained under. you say. It was not me. loud footsteps burst through the outer door.

but the Turk intercepted me with a vicious kick. His mouth curved into a sheepish grin. And holy relics worth more than a thousand inns like ours. All around us. the farther away I felt from anything I knew.All around me. lofting some harmless arrows at us.Norcross seemed delighted. I saw it myself. bald. passing from horror to horror. He steps up and rings the bell. A volley of arrows shot back from the towers in return. It may be cold.Father Leo spoke up. Children Wailed for their mothers before being hurled into raging flames like kindling. Her tinkling little-girl laugh. sticking their heads into houses as if they owned them. Just like when we were children. Georges said.

had formed behind me.She moved with me in perfect rhythm. No reason to make one less. grammar. He started to laugh himself..From behind came the clatter of a warhorse galloping toward us. Many felt the nobles had themselves a meal at Robert's expense. For a few moments. Each town we got to was scorched and empty. it seemed. Nerves?The boy shook his head. I took another step. And it was vast-thousands of them! Not fitted out with armor or uniforms. What else could matter? I was a fool to have left her.In that instant I saw my helplessness.So. Churches have been burned and looted. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St. miller.

No comments:

Post a Comment