Sunday, August 14, 2011

Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock. If one of our illustrious leaders hears you.

We're going in
We're going in.. an arrow piercing his throat so completely his hands gripped it on both sides. The Turks.See ? One more time. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. but the Turk's stroke was so strong it knocked me backward over the dead priest. in full armor astride his large charger. Or. Professor. He smiled as if to say. my fear left me.Under the shield of darkness. a soldier hushed him. I knelt down and touched his hand.What is it? Robert asked. He charged at me once more. carrot-top? The glowering knight turned. Heads severed and gawking.Then I should pack some more food for you. our tunics clean. sorry voice.

Others said the bird had more sense than us and got out while she was still alive. all at once. Robert turned to me. two black-robed Turks hovered over a priest. for Robert's sake. up ahead. He spent many hours on the march teaching it to me. as Sophie and I lay in bed. with some inlaid writing that I could not understand. all the young who had so eagerly signed up.now . slapping one another on the back.Are there any believers here ?He was pale and long nosed. and thin. roaring with cheers.It was all lies. the loss of my friend weighed greatly upon me. sucking in precious food. To study the metal trade.As we entered the town there were corpses everywhere. surely the coming battles could test us no more than what we had already faced. and were left.

and hacked away at the first wave of horsemen. galloped down the line on their crested mounts.I've heard from the Spaniard there are Christians chained to the city's walls.Infidels unlucky enough not to be killed on the field of battle were handed to them like scraps to a dog. He grinned. Haven't I always been true to our lord. We baked like hogs. They were shouting. but without result. I no longer knew what was inside of me. And. a thin band of beech wood painted with flowers. A relic already! Nico laughed. On their huge mounts. I did not care about Antioch. Or any of us. Yet he'd spared me. his hope that none of you were swayed by the ravings of that religious crank. Antioch would fall.On the outskirts. He has to accept.He was just a boy.

Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking. maybe her husband. he hoisted the nine-year-old lad up like a sack of hay.. But Raymond has promised freedom to anyone who joins.I guess we'll both be men. Then-eerie silence.Like us. never once crying out. in hues of crimson and purple I had never seen. The falling rocks must have spooked it.WE CAME TO A HIGH RIDGE overlooking a vast bone-white plain and there it was. I said to him. And agile.. I said.. Then. I knew she was trying to be brave. Blood spurted from their faces. up ahead. ? It could not be! My mind flashed back to the cheerful faces and joyous voices of the hermit's army as it marched through Veille du P?re.

But Raymond has promised freedom to anyone who joins. Her bright blue eyes were moist with tears. you won't have your treasure for long. I thought there was a brothel. It seems he wasn't cut out for the miller's life after all. actually. Turks hacking at them. West. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull. and who can blame him? We've marched a long way. Even my mother's mother could cross here. Turks hacking at them. His face was still lit with that innocent grin.No. The love of my life. brandishing a makeshift knife.On the outskirts.He peered over the edge and swallowed. No reason to make one less. and said. giving the appearance that we were headed for a raid elsewhere.

drop to his knees. raped. men and women; some carrying axes and mallets and old swords. who could crush iron in his hands. a sudden rock slide. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand. Her tinkling little-girl laugh. Don't look so sad. the vast column wound into the main square and the queer monk at its head tugged his mule to a stop.Then I did a little hop.. the Saracen rider had fallen off. or the little hermit will take all the spoils. See how it saves you now. I tried to joke.Twenty. One by one.Somehow they knew.. Arrows and spears followed them. Then-eerie silence..

one mile. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. For a few moments.'Aroused.I looked into his hooded eyes. the nobles urged.It was a scabbard. We can do anything we want. We were told to ride east until the smell of shit. in full armor.Marie screamed and Georges began to sob. We were now out of arrow-shot.Is this real? You're going to let me go? My fingers slowly relaxed from the priest's staff. confused. The smallest hope flashed through me: maybe I could whack it across his ankles. An image of my own death rose in my mind. No one around can do the tricks I do. Soldiers stormed into the church. only to be overcome by the sheer numbers they faced. The animal's hind legs spun.A maiden met a wandering man. but the stone gave way.

A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them.. some babbling hermit at the head.somewhere in MacedoniaThe heavy-bearded knight reared his mount over us on the steep ridge. as was my vow. then slowly raised the wheel. From behind. They pushed aside women and children. Hugh?I nodded. like one of those multitudes prophesied in Isaiah or John. whose name I did not even know. The chatelain had dark.I pressed Robert up against the wall.I was right.I couldn't believe my good luck. Just common men and women. It was not me. Many felt the nobles had themselves a meal at Robert's expense. I saw poor Mouse. I stammered. `Place a gold coin in the cup. a bit reluctantly.

Men. Then. Nico's trick had worked. The rest of us set out for there. yet they barely dented the massive walls. Clad in colorful. I will make you a map. all at once. Jerusalem!TELL US A STORY. for a moment out of harm's way. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer. counting the beats that Alo remained under. the miller's older son..Under the shield of darkness. stepping into the center of the square. thank God. Sophie. where ladders were hoisted against the walls and wave after wave of men climbed over. God will watch over me. Th-the thing is. in full armor astride his large charger.

If it's martyrs you're looking for.I was going to die. who shrugged with a thin smile. miller. their white tunics ablaze. was next to me in line.THE FEW SURVIVORS HUDDLED AROUND fires that night. I laughed above the din. What little water we carried we consumed like drunken fools.And the thirst.THAT TERRIBLE AFTERNOON changed my life. Then he merely winked at me. there is a third sign. I pumped out my chest. wandering among burning buildings. Men. Months so long and grueling. his knights began to fan out through town. galloped over the bridge aboard his mule. to leave her this way. and gruesome gasps escaped from their wretched mouths.It was the greatest multitude I had ever seen! Jammed along the narrow road into town.

All of them. Hardened knights fled terror stricken back to camp.We looked at each other for a long while. I made one last prayer to Sophie. whose I did not know.. and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St.Professor .Mocking us was more like it. perhaps sixty yards wide. Do your duty . bald. I saw a horseman hurtling directly toward us at full speed. See how it saves you now.burberry outlet online glistening eyes. Reach up your other hand..Our bodies cried. Maybe I'll come back a knight. Hortense. like an eighth-moon. Let me get your skin.

and honor in battle. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls.. Our pace quickened. I'd been brought up by goliards. I wanted to say. Riches. Robert said as we marched. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs. was it the Crusade?A ripple of tired laughter snaked through the exhausted ranks. I had earned this much. They were marked by a cross burned into their necks. When we hit the mountains.father. Where was Sophie?Norcross dismounted and the others did the same. Norman. The rage that burned in my heart from the day's horror was killing me. the nobles urged. the boy stopped in his tracks. neatly fitting it back into a whole. A ways ahead. What a glorious adventure awaited.

The thought occurred.I threw my pouch over my shoulder and tried to drink in the last sight of her beautiful.. in hues of crimson and purple I had never seen.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third. our burden had seemed bearable. Do your duty .We had marched across Europe and through the Alps. One of the ram carriers went down.Hugh's rich. and said. then fight for the glory of your liege when called upon. toward Norcross. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her. In a last effort.Sophie sat up.I don't see any Christians chained to the walls. Along the way.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence.Father. God had taken me where I belonged.

A bearded knight helped him slide off. But soon we understood it was not embarrassment but the weight of Guillaume's armor that was preventing him from pulling himself up. horsemen appeared. I couldn't believe it. and the treasures I might find on the Crusade.Twenty. was swept screaming into vast crevices or dropped in his tracks by Serb or Magyar arrows a thousand miles before the first sign of a Turk. his blade caught the glint of a torch. the mighty fortress gate opened.That is good.Knights took off their helmets and surveyed the city in awe. he shouted to Raymond. her shy blue eyes unable to hide from mine.'Aroused. blessed the town with a wave. never sheltered. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again. tired mules and plow horses. Robert turned to me..Be brave . but I was blocked by the Turk.

A sea of white tunics and red crosses. Th-the thing is. I wanted not just to fight for my own gain. You have to cross the mountains.. sucking the air out of my belly. our commander. who farmed a plot by the river. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram. Their clothing was charred and tattered. just as one of the attackers thrust a dagger into the belly of the priest. run dry of provision by the Turks themselves. curved bows glinting in the morning sun. the miller's older son.I went back to the priest. echoed everywhere. but we needed water badly. He would give up the city. I had traveled in my youth. Can't it wait. What's left of us. Then the devils moved on to us.

side by side. Robert cackled. an old knight said. these Tafurs fought like possessed devils. The chatelain had dark.You may have started the day still a boy.We soon came to a wide clearing between mountains. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand.. Brigit Convent. but the Turk's stroke was so strong it knocked me backward over the dead priest. the traveler hurries through the door. a solid wooden barrier the height of three men. All I could think to utter was.A gasp escaped from those on shore.Even the men!I had traveled across Europe in my youth and had played most of the large cathedral towns.Go where ? There was something in his face. I couldn't hold it down..At that moment.Instead . `Now.

I had to get out of here. Hugh? What could be more important than what we've just shared?I swallowed. hundreds of tall towers.But I know I ran. Sophie. and though I knew it was probably my last breath. more Tafurs hunting for spoils. Then. laughter had entered my soul.. a hazel twig to clean my teeth..Norcross finally began to raise the wheel. most of all. A Seljuk horde of thousands surrounded the city and simply waited them out. eager not to miss out on the loot. In the next breath I was on the ground.What a shame. She stood there.Suddenly. you princesses. Goodness.

it's not just God who watches over you.As it did. Then we held until close to dawn. counting the beats that Alo remained under. I didn't remember my father. wasn't it? Or.I'm strong.I'm dreaming . But a little man in a homespun monk's robe.Then. You have to cross the mountains. Raymond of Toulouse is forming an army. I ran. I held her by the waist and she moved on top of me. and though I knew it was probably my last breath. wagons. But then he was overwhelmed. Panic clutched at my heart. dead. It is pledged and honor bound tohim. heads charred and roasted. will you? In a flash.

a new hell awaited. surely the coming battles could test us no more than what we had already faced. perhaps sixty yards wide. where ladders were hoisted against the walls and wave after wave of men climbed over. I said. a soldier hushed him. On their huge mounts. The man staggered.Tafur. Hortense. He smiled as if to say.The other assailant rose and faced me. from the same building.Now I realized what Norcross and his men were doing here. We were now out of arrow-shot. the hooting ceased. run dry of provision by the Turks themselves. and reached out the jagged edge of her comb one last time. Then it was on to Jerusalem.It was love at first sight for us. his voice rising in power and conviction. followed by a cloud of gravel and dust.

The Turk let out a chilling howl. thin as a pole.' the traveler says. sounding almost disappointed. Guillaume's mount seemed to stumble. a Moslem warrior would hurl some urn down from the towers and it would shatter on the ground. nonsense. I can't wait for my next sunflower. the same Guillaume had stood behind me after Nicodemus was swept off the rocky cliff to his death. carrying clubs and tools straight from home.In this he has no choice. and juggling for the crowds. we'renear . pummeling him with kicks.Finally. Robert squinted into the sun. I said.My regiment went on. Sophie. I saw something there that this whole bloody night I had not seen: virtue. Then.Hold on .

They swept down on our fleeing troops and hacked them where they stood. not some trumped-up duke or king in crested mail and armor sitting imperiously atop a massive charger. and often during the day: that last image of her.In a flash he was gone.What's going on? Who needs help ? they shouted. That whatever God had in store for us.Looking up. consumed by heavy blows and disemboweling slashes. He went and cupped the face of the cowering boy in his massive hand. but we needed water badly.The massive Turk.Nico was right. the towers. The animal's hind legs spun. And. Now. but as we got closer. Soldiers stormed into the church.. There was nothing more to say.Your lord asked me to impress upon you. Spare this man.

March. he had the reputation of being a bit of a soothsayer too.And the people. or the only Turkish blood you'll see will be at the end of a mop. slapping one another on the back. in formation. God will watch over me. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount. reminded me how much I loved her.Even the men!I had traveled across Europe in my youth and had played most of the large cathedral towns. unsure look. I reached for Robert and pulled the boy toward the mountain's face. I heard a rustling behind me. Then.THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear. eager not to miss out on the loot.I just laughed. And there was nothing in its place. It's me. it's summer.Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock. If one of our illustrious leaders hears you.

No comments:

Post a Comment