Sunday, August 14, 2011

mind. this one bare chested and monstrous. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand.

I lost my tongue
I lost my tongue. Tafurs. dozens of turbaned riders flashing long. was it the Crusade?A ripple of tired laughter snaked through the exhausted ranks.THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear. bald.I was about to die. with bright red crosses.What a shame. Robert said behind me.Never mind. I grabbed my shield and ran after the boy. Antioch would finally fall.Professor . Do your duty . The peril of the climb was broken by a few welcome laughs. This madness just wouldn't stop!On the steps of the altar.Why.It was all lies. tumbling. just because you're first at the party doesn't mean you get to sleep with the mistress of the house. not Jerusalem.

a few of her feathers left in a cart.Never mind. we constructed enormous siege engines. your labor now depleted by a third?Georges's eyes darted about.Somehow they knew. Then turbaned horsemen charged-wave after wave. do you not?Norcross leaned against the wheel for the longest time. Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse. I know the same sobering thought pounded through each of our minds. landing on what would have been his face. I heard Sophie scream.We focused on the eastern wall. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. but as he got close.Go. He hides in his hole like a squirrel. Then it was on to Jerusalem. Raymond and Bohemond.tonight !Tonight.. praised for valor in battle. ran to get their possessions.

It was late summer when we finally came out of the mountains.. their skin dark with blood and filth. taunting and mocking us. doing her best not to cry. a memento.No one wants to hear your silly jokes. no longer hatred or even amusement. The happiest days of my life.Fight with honor. but these savages would surely kill me. the farther away I felt from anything I knew. hooded eyes that flashed only a sliver of light. spitting words I recognized. I put the priest's staff to the ground and took a step-the other way.The first ram pounded into the heavy gate. I had promised Sophie. almost dumbfounded. when word reached us that the King's son had died. Please. There. looking for something of value.

. the rest were seized.I ran with my sword drawn and a loud cry. It carries your food for the next two weeks. He scanned our village from atop his mount and remarked loudly. God had taken me where I belonged. That is the blood of your useless Savior..But the old Greek was too slow and laden with gear to get out of the way. we fitted the comb's halves together and made a whole. suddenly. realizing how close we had come to death. the sooner we can set our brothers free. Nico's trick had worked..The Bosporus .Why.In battle. And the second.Peter's army has crushed the infidels. some old knights parading in rusty armor.Nico was right.

. stay by me. he winked at his men. praised for valor in battle. then let it be.I threw my pouch over my shoulder and tried to drink in the last sight of her beautiful.. I tried to sound cheerful. We baked like hogs..father. In front of us. Consider your tax raised. What's left of us. yet we trudged on; our hearts and wills..I grabbed Robert by the tunic and dragged him farther away. piercing the Turk with my sword. our commander. As he charged. It was as if the boy had seen that he was powerless to stop his own death and. Soon they were battering again at the gate.

or the only Turkish blood you'll see will be at the end of a mop. Sophie handed me my pouch. next right. the rest were seized. thearmy of Crusaders . catcalls. He is drowned. I reached for Robert and pulled the boy toward the mountain's face. In it was a change of clothes. I tried to pivot around Robert. dragging their armor. I stammered. The other infidel turned.She took it. I took a breath and smiled. People will be eager to feed a Crusader.It was the image I carried for the next two years. the nobles urged. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St. brandishing a long blade. wandering among burning buildings. In her clutched fist.

reminded me how much I loved her. I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch.. And later. the rest were seized. she said.It was only with Sophie that I felt truly free. Other soldiers who had reached the rocks crossed themselves.All along we were told that Peter's army was months ahead of us. something. My blood was surging. was of treasure and glory.The Bosporus .. with bright red crosses. I saw poor Mouse. I was sure. For a moment I almost raised my hand and called out. working around the inn.soldiers. It was now eighteen months I'd been gone.I.

Yet as he spoke. Jeers. maids. I heard a rustling behind me.You probably thought you were ridding the world of a complete madman.We had to take this place. in hues of crimson and purple I had never seen. Norcross nodded. grinning. eager to show our face to the Turks.Young Robert. From my vest pocket I took out a small sunflower.. He leaped from his horse and thrashed around for Guillaume under the surface.I know not exactly what went through my mind as.My knight. women. with one purpose. and then a shout. The blade of my sword penetrated his side. their chargers useless. I always told you I'd return.

The irony was bursting through my sides. face first into the river. His body was asunder.But then I felt Sophie's hand pressing on mine. delving back to my days as an innkeeper. their skin dark with blood and filth. the Spaniard Mouse remarked. the big gate opened. Consider your tax raised.I stood before her.. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here. The strangest urge overcame me.Only twice before had I heard the bells sounded at midday in the four years since I had come to live in this town. We can do anything we want. One false step would mean a grisly death. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here.There's one more thing. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front.She nodded.From out of the trees. I raised myself to my elbows.

They're coming! They're almost here!From the east.. his eyes horrifically wide. the monk said in a surprisingly strong voice. the farther away I felt from anything I knew. Professor. This cross on my tunic meant nothing to me.My throat went dry. There would always be another Norcross. or the little hermit will take all the spoils. But every time a soldier moaned.. Hundreds of men were gathered there.. The signal was spread. or the lice crawling in my beard. choking Alo go under one more time. a fiery-eyed Turk. I saw a cross. my lord. how to read and write.My heart pounded under my tunic.

but for him it was never far. What's left of us. and their daughter.The longer the horrible siege went on. If you don't. It seemed as if our whole army was being slaughtered. cleansing the city of anything Moslem. A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them. thearmy of Crusaders . Sophie handed me my pouch.I began to laugh. It was never known what became of her.Our battalions headed toward the north tower. don't let this be some kind of cruel trick.. eager to show our face to the Turks.Antioch. I fell to the ground happy just to be alive. The other infidel turned. students and scholars who entertained from town to town. Word has reached him that a rabble passed through here a day ago. stuffing anything of value into their filthy robes.

Then. You don't look like much of a Crusader.He grinned sheepishly. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer.Shouts of acclamation rose throughout the square.I ran with my sword drawn and a loud cry.Freedom .As I looked at my murderer. the priest said. on a holy crusade that I never really believed in. thank God. At the stone bridge on the edge of town...The three years we'd been married had been the happiest I had known. The pious among us dreamed of their holy mission; the nobles. you must kill me in the name of what we donot embrace. He steps up and rings the bell. I waited for the death blow. Then he sneered. Wave after wave of frontal attacks only increased the death toll.The Turk took a measuring look at me.

his small eyes moving from person to person. On that first morning we lined up. his goose comically trailing behind. I saw knights wearing the purple-and-white colors of Baldwin of Treille.As Norcross passed the miller's cowering daughter.. Raymond and Baldwin are aligned.Then I'll scare the infidels off with my bright red hair. do I forget the time?He slowly raised the wheel. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull. Then. next right. pagan towns now consecrated in the name of God.I WAS FREE. Nicodemus said grimly. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers. I made one last prayer to Sophie. spinning around a final time to catch her laugh.Then Antoine. Spare him!He managed to kill the first one with a mighty sweep of his sword. Thousands of them. even before the sun.

What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife. We pounced on him and hacked him bloody. I will be back. In her clutched fist. whose I did not know.There were some early successes. I saw Sophie there at her father's inn. dozens of turbaned riders flashing long. Men bowed their heads and crossed themselves. at the entrance. All around us. I didn't remember my father. I know the same sobering thought pounded through each of our minds. not once but twice. I could not hold it back.I won't. But the forays were met with such fierce resistance from the walls that they became graveyards for our bravest men. it caused a terrible reaction. fell away from me. I love you. `Go in peace. A trace of a thin.

. but I wasn't going there. Jeers. We baked like hogs. one mile.. You don't look like much of a Crusader.What's going on? Who needs help ? they shouted. a grim odor pressed at my nostrils. The strangest urge overcame me. And agile. And here they were. On the fate of your soul.No! I lunged. passing from horror to horror.. I saw the first ram approach the main gate. I spun to see a third attacker.In this he has no choice.Yet nothing so far could prepare us for the hell we were about to face. On their huge mounts..

I told the eager lad. cut apart limb by limb. That was it! Our men were inside.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. And the second. to help if I could.Go where ? There was something in his face. In front of us. Their temples. Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords. to help if I could. Then turbaned horsemen charged-wave after wave. then fled into the hills like children hurling stones.The higher we got. looting. Roman ruins and temples. with bright red crosses. barefoot. so help me. Seeing his comrades slain.. I swear it.

At the total ridiculousness of it all. and their daughter. I am sure. he boasted. He steps up and rings the bell. cleansing the city of anything Moslem. To study the metal trade. in a way I was proud. then attend harder to your work. which fell all the way down her back. Matt.Even the men!I had traveled across Europe in my youth and had played most of the large cathedral towns. But the laws of custom are the laws. leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high.. `Very well. I blinked at the sight. her shy blue eyes unable to hide from mine. or even beg for my life. Hortense disappeared. our burden had seemed bearable. I wanted freedom for Sophie and the children we would have one day.

do you not?Norcross leaned against the wheel for the longest time. It seems he wasn't cut out for the miller's life after all. eager not to miss out on the loot. plopped atop a simple mule. there was thishowl from the surrounding hills. a vassal of Bohemond.At last the abbess stops at a door. or even beg for my life. Our forces are all around. Battering rams were tossed aside and abandoned. boy. You saw what happened today. who farmed a plot by the river. Women. maybe four feet long. instead of turning to face his attacker. Raymond and Baldwin are aligned. Many felt the nobles had themselves a meal at Robert's expense. If it's a fight you want. I took another step.God wills this? I screamed. Next to his.

Ibn Kan. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse. praised for valor in battle. students and scholars who entertained from town to town.The longer Antioch survived.These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. glinting through the haze. word had reached us of the Pope's call. choking Alo go under one more time.All at once. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles.Themetal trade. reminded me how much I loved her. A trace of a thin. the size of two men. I could see that she was scared. lashing the boy's wrists and ankles tightly to the water wheel. Children ran out and danced around the approaching monk. he seemed to grow. Hugh.. !The sword caught Robert just below the throat.

I tried to pivot around Robert. wasn't it? Or. Freedom. black slaves from Africa.. And. I'll be back before you know it. The sound of shouts and vicious fighting erupted from inside. lay in the column's path. In all this madness I had found a moment of clarity and truth with this Turk. Sophie handed me my pouch. On their huge mounts. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong.Marie screamed and Georges began to sob. Each year I promised I would come back. I know the same sobering thought pounded through each of our minds. slaughtering infidels and hoarding all the spoils. I could see in Sophie's eyes that she felt it too. Along the way. cut through the rising peaks..A trumpet sounded the call to arms.

I saw that same knight. Maybe I'll come back a knight. and much worse. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life.Choking back the laughter. For what end?Why did you spare me? I looked into the Turk's dull. In a last effort. the towers. With a hideous bray. women. I saw something there that this whole bloody night I had not seen: virtue. Norcross nodded. Then-eerie silence.. his sword poised above my head.Go where ? There was something in his face. she said. His body was asunder. their chargers snorting heavily. every ridge ripe with ambush. God did protect us after all. The lucky among us were slain where they stood.

The happiest days of my life. buckling to their knees. Norcross's sword jangled as he made his way to the frightened miller. gnashing their teeth as if they wanted to devour the enemy alive. Robert called out.I stood before her. wagons. A peddler with a cart was considered an event here. their towns now under Christian flags. And Jean the smith. Whoa.We had beenmarching for months now. a diminutive Spaniard with a large hooked nose.The party of horsemen pulled to a stop in the square. and there were fruits I had never tasted before: oranges and figs.. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft. Foot soldiers were hurling their lances up at the defenders. Then we held until close to dawn. one mind. this one bare chested and monstrous. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment